Saturday, August 1, 2009

Bonus Weekender: Eastern Market (Washington, DC)

Last weekend R. and I made the trek down to Eastern Market to shop for fresh produce. Eastern Market is a popular DC establishment in the Capitol Hill area, about seven blocks from the Capitol building. It encompasses the indoor South Hall where one can purchase fresh meats, cheese, produce, deli meats, and flowers every day; a weekend fresh farm market stretching several blocks along 7th Street; and a flea market in the surrounding area. The South Hall was burned down in a 2007 fire, but finally reopened just about a month ago. Needless to say, Eastern Market is a food lover's haven. We mainly bought produce (fresh peaches, grapes, bell peppers, herbs, and zucchinis, among other things), but also ended up with some amazing hummus. I actually ran out of cash before I was done shopping! Luckily, I had the foresight to drive my car there (took about 40 minutes) because it would not have been fun to lug a cantaloupe home on the Metro! Anyway, here are some images from Eastern Market:


People shopping for produce. (Yes, it was VERY crowded!)


The sunflowers are gorgeous!


Inside the South Hall.


The flea market.

Since zucchinis are in season and abundant, I have been stockpiling them and trying out different zucchini recipes. This week's posts will be devoted to the two zucchini dishes I made after my Eastern Market shopping excursion. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I think you'll need to cook for us when you're home :D

    ReplyDelete

A little friendly message from me, the blog author: I love getting comments on this blog! However, in order to prevent spam from getting through, your comments will be moderated so it may take a few hours before your comments are posted. And if you are a spammer, please don't bother leaving a comment here. Go spam somebody else, or better yet, get a life. Thank you.