Monday, September 14, 2009

Tomato Asparagus Salad

So last week I spent five days in the Kansas City, Missouri area, and all the drinking and eating out and lack of consistent exercise really did a number on my waistline. :( It is unbelievable - 10 days in Toronto in August (where weight gain is normally pretty much inevitable) without adding a pound. Five days in Missouri, and BOOM! I feel obese! And unfortunately, what they say is true: When you hit a certain age, it's just so easy to gain weight but so hard to lose it!

So right now I'm in diet mode...at least for the week. :) I'm actually usually pretty good about watching what I eat, and I'm nowhere near overweight, but it would be nice to be able to fit in my clothes. ;) So, I'm stepping up the effort this week to try and swing back to my pre-Missouri weight. For lunch this week, I've prepared this low-fat and easy-to-make salad, which tastes really good, too!

TOMATO ASPARAGUS SALAD

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
  • 3 plum tomatoes, halved and sliced
  • 3/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
Directions:
  1. Place asparagus in a steamer basket; place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the asparagus, tomatoes and onion. Drizzle with vinaigrette and gently toss to coat. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Yields: 4 servings (for me, 2 lunch portions)

No comments:

Post a Comment

A little friendly message from me, the blog author: I love getting comments on this blog! However, in order to prevent spam from getting through, your comments will be moderated so it may take a few hours before your comments are posted. And if you are a spammer, please don't bother leaving a comment here. Go spam somebody else, or better yet, get a life. Thank you.