Thursday, September 3, 2009

Smoke's Poutinerie (Toronto, ON, Canada)

So I spent about 10 days in Toronto in August and had some fantastic meals, and thought I'd blog about them. This one is a fairly new restaurant I discovered recently - Smoke's Poutinerie - which serves a variety of poutine.

If you're not Canadian, at this point you're probably wondering, what the heck is "poutine"? Wait, wait, wait...isn't he a former Prime Minister of Canada? Actually, poutine is a French Canadian comfort food consisting of French fries, gravy, and fresh cheese curds. Sounds gross, but trust me, it is delicious. I find myself craving this artery-clogger once in a while, since you can't get real poutine anywhere in the States (as far as I know).

Anyway, I had been meaning to try Smoke's Poutinerie since my previous trip to Toronto. Tucked right behind the main drag of the entertainment district on Adelaide Street, this seemingly unassuming restaurant glams up a roadside diner dish by inventing some creative varieties of poutine. My brother and I decided to split three different flavors. Of course, we absolutely had to have the traditional, just because that's how poutine should be:



We also tried the Curry Chicken Poutine, with tender roasted chicken breast and curry sauce. This was probably my favorite, which I'm sure has something to do with the fact that I think anything with curry is pure awesomeness:



Brother's choice was the very meaty Hogtown Poutine, with bacon, Italian sausage, mushrooms, and caramelized onions. I personally would have preferred a little less salt, but brother quite enjoyed it:



All in all, Smokes was a really cool place. Being a somewhat health-conscious person, I don't recommend going all the time, but it is worth a try once in a while. I wouldn't mind making a repeat trip next time to try their Montreal Poutine (shaved Montreal smoked meat, Kosher full dill pickle slice, French mustard...mmmm....).

Pertinent info:
Address: 218 Adelaide St W, Toronto, ON
Phone: (416) 599-2873
Nearest subway station: St. Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment

A little friendly message from me, the blog author: I love getting comments on this blog! However, in order to prevent spam from getting through, your comments will be moderated so it may take a few hours before your comments are posted. And if you are a spammer, please don't bother leaving a comment here. Go spam somebody else, or better yet, get a life. Thank you.