Sunday, March 1, 2009

Garden Baked Potato Casserole

This recipe is a personal creation, with some of the ideas borrowed from a recipe card I was once gifted at a White Elephant party. (Random, I know.) It's fairly easy to make and works great as a side dish, though I actually enjoy it as an entree myself. The secret is in the ranch dressing - it gives the dish a little tangy kick.

GARDEN BAKED POTATO CASSEROLE

Ingredients:
  • 4 potatoes
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 8 oz frozen chopped broccoli
  • 8 oz frozen green peas
  • 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
  • 4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
  • ½ cup light ranch salad dressing
  • 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (or use 2 tsp dried parsley flakes)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 °F.
  2. Microwave pierced potatoes on HIGH for 12 minutes, then bake for 30-40 minutes or until done.
  3. While potatoes are baking, cook broccoli and peas according to package instructions.
  4. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. Add onion and mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
  5. When potatoes are done, scoop them into a large bowl.
  6. Add salad dressing to the potatoes. Mash potatoes using a potato masher or a hand mixer.
  7. Add onion, mushrooms, broccoli, peas, salt, pepper, and parsley to the potato mixture. Mix well.
  8. Scoop potato mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. Bake in oven until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.

The finished product.

Serves: 6-8 as a side dish, 4-5 as a main course

One of my favorite gadgets to use for chopping veggies is my Chop Wizard. I saw it on one of those <~embarrassing admission alert~> infomercials, and had R. get it for me for my birthday one year. Or was it Christmas? Anyway, it is a fantastic gadget to have, especially for chopping onions. No more tears!! And clean up is easy, just throw it into the dishwasher.


Chop wizard in action.


It has a built in measuring cup, too! Just stand the chop wizard upright.

2 comments:

  1. So since I hardly ever cook, I don't have much to comment yet on the food except that it all looks yummy. But since I am the chopper/slicer at the house, oh my gosh I would love a chop wizard :O

    And I like that you've already added the Voodoo knife rack onto your list LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a slice wizard, too. :) I'm sure it will make an appearance in an entry here someday soon.

    ReplyDelete

A little friendly message from me, the blog author: I love getting comments on this blog! However, in order to prevent spam from getting through, your comments will be moderated so it may take a few hours before your comments are posted. And if you are a spammer, please don't bother leaving a comment here. Go spam somebody else, or better yet, get a life. Thank you.